Monday, January 21, 2013

Banana Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Muffins

I am on a super healthy kick right now.  Well, I guess I'm always on a healthy kick.  (Except for holidays, like today, when I can eat whatever I want and not feel guilty.  Caramel popcorn?  Yes please.  Chocolate chip cookie?  Bring it on.  Jumbo marshmallows?  I'll have 1 or 2 or 7).  But usually I am very conscientious of what I put in my mouth.  How many calories, what type of food it is, blah blah blah.  So this little treat is AWESOME.  No flour, no sugar (well, brown sugar...), no oil, no butter.  I was concerned about the texture, but they turned out awesomely!  And Callen was drooling over them.  He didn't believe me when I said they were actually healthy for him!  He kept saying the flavor was so good!  This is a must repeat recipe!

Banana Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Muffins


Serves 18
  • 3 cups old-fashioned oats
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/4 cup skim milk
  • 3/4 cup mashed bananas
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly mist 18 cups in a muffin tin with cooking spray.
  2. Combine the oats, brown sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and stir until thoroughly mixed.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg whites, egg, mashed banana, milk and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients and stir until blended together. Mix in chocolate chips.
  4. Spoon the oatmeal mixture evenly between the prepared muffin cups. Bake uncovered for 18 to 22 minutes or until oatmeal is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Source: emilybites.com

Done and done!  5.0 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment