Monday, January 21, 2013

Chicken Pesto Calzones

Grandma Phyllis gave us a turkey for Christmas.  Like a 15 pound turkey.  We had some friends over the other night and cooked it, along with mashed potatoes, peasant bread, green beans/bacon, and they brought salad and dessert.  It was so fun, but we were STILL left with TONS of turkey.  So now I have to find recipes to use the turkey.  This recipe called for chicken, but I can use turkey instead, right?  Well, I did.  And even Callen said a couple of times how good they were.  And the other bonus, the dough was homemade so B could have it!  (Have I mentioned lately how obsessed I am with making bread.  I feel like I am winning every time I successfully make bread.  Winning what?  I'm not sure.  Just winning).

Turkey Pesto Calzones


Chicken Pesto Calzones
For the dough (adapted from The Pioneer Woman):

Mix together in a bowl:
  • 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
  • 1 teaspoon dry active yeast
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
Add in and stir:
  • 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups unbleached bread flour
Using a bread hook, slowly add in the whole wheat flour until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl.
  • 2 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
Put the dough in a lightly greased bowl and cover with seran wrap.  Let rise for 1 1/2-2 hours.

To finish the calzones:

Mix together in a bowl:
  • 1 cup pesto
  • 3 cups cooked shredded chicken (or shredded turkey)
After the dough has risen, split it into 4 balls (this makes HUGE calzones, I would probably do 8 balls next time and make smaller ones that a normal person could actually eat in one sitting).  Roll out on a lightly floured surface to make a rectangular or oval shape.  Spread 1/4 of the pesto chicken mix on 1/2 of the dough.  Layer on top:
  • 4 ounces Provolone Stravecchio cheese, shredded (or use mozzarella)
Fold the dough over the top.  Press the edges together to form a seam all the way around.  Brush the oil on and sprinkle on the seasoning.
  • Extra virgin olive oil (to drizzle on top)
  • Italian seasoning
Put in the oven (preheated to 425) for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown on the edges. 

**The original instructions said that I could freeze them.  So I made two and froze two.  Make sure and wrap them and put them in BEFORE cooking them.  So, I put on the oil and the seasoning, wrapped them in seran wrap and put them in the freezer.  So excited to have some pre-made dinners for later!

Rating:  5 stars, easy

No comments:

Post a Comment