Sunday, August 11, 2013

Homemade Mac n' Cheese

This recipe did not blow me out of the water, but I used milk instead of sharp cheddar.  I think that if I used sharp, it would give it more flavor.  So I am going to save this recipe for the sake of its potential.  This recipe is also found on Allrecipe.com.  Here

Mac N' Cheese

8 oz. uncooked elbow macaroni
2 c. shredded sharp Cheddar
1/2 c. grated Parmesan
3 c. milk
1/4 c. butter
2 1/2 T flour
2 T butter
1/2 c. bread crumbs
1 pinch paprika

1.  Cook macaroni.  (Duh)
2.  In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.  Stir in enough flour to make a roux.  (I misread the ingredients list and only used 2T butter at this point instead of the full 1/2 c.)  Add milk to roux, stir constantly.  Stir in cheeses and cook over low heat until cheese is melted and the sauce is a little thick.
3. Put macaroni in large casserole dish and pour sauce over macaroni.  Stir well.
4.  Melt butter in a large skillet and add breadcrumbs.  Brown (I ran out of bread crumbs, so I shredded some homemade artisan bread and browned them.  They were delicious).  Spread over the macaroni and cheese, then sprinkle on paprika (I forgot this.  No wonder there wasn't a lot of flavor).
5.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

I will try again and hope for a little more flavor.  My bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment