Thursday, August 30, 2012

Turkey Stuffed Anaheim Peppers

Yes, peppers again.  I got 12 Anaheim chile peppers in my basket this week.  Had to do something with them.  And I had to make dinner for a new mom.  (In retrospect, this was not a great choice.  I wasn't aware of how spicy these peppers are.  And spice doesn't always go well with newborns.  Oops).  I found several recipes on Pinterest for these kinds of peppers and finally settled on this one.

Mine definitely did not turn out as pretty as the ones in the recipe, but were mighty tasty, albeit spicy.  I suffered through about half of one of the peppers and then wimped out and ate only the inside of the other half.  I can't take spice to save my life.

Ingredients:

1/3
cup boiling water
2
tablespoons uncooked bulgur (What the heck is this?  I looked it up, tried to find it at the store, gave up after 2 minutes, used brown rice instead).
1/3
cup frozen (thawed) whole kernel corn
1/3
cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
1/2
teaspoon chopped fresh jalapeño pepper (Didn't have this and frankly, didn't want to buy it.  And let's be honest, I was afraid of the spice).
1
teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon marjoram leaves (I used non-fresh).
1/4
teaspoon garlic powder
2
cans (4 ounces each) roasted whole chile peppers or 4 fresh Anaheim chilies, roasted and peeled*  (Roasted and peeled my own.  That took awhile...  Found the directions online somewhere.  Frankly, washed them, then broiled them for about 10 minutes, flipping them every 2-3 minutes.  The skins turned a brownish-black cover and I continued until about 60% of the pepper was scorched.  Then I put them immediately into a gallon sized baggie and let them sweat.  The directions said to leave them for about 10-15 minutes.  I left them about 2 hours because it was my nap time.  Don't judge me, I just had a baby.  When I woke up, I easily peeled the skins off.  They were ready!)

1/4
cup reduced-sodium salsa
1/4
cup plain fat-free yogurt (I didn't use this, it seemed too weird).

  • 1Heat oven to 350°. Spray square baking dish, 8x8x2 inches, with cooking spray.
  • 2Cook rice. Stir in corn, 1/4 cup of the cheese, the jalapeño pepper, marjoram and garlic powder.

  • 3Slice chilies along one side; remove ribs and seeds. Drain well. Stuff about 1/4 cup filling into each chile. (I overfilled my chiles and couldn't flip them upside down without a disaster.  I left them facing up and used a toothpick to hold the chiles together.)  Place seam side down in baking dish. Top with salsa and remaining cheese.
  • 4Bake, uncovered, 25 to 30 minutes or until hot. (Just before serving, spoon yogurt over chilies, if using).


Overall, rating 3.5 stars.  Too spicy for me, the inside was delicious!



No comments:

Post a Comment