Sunday, March 17, 2013

Dutch Oven Potatoes

I am STILL trying to use up all my potatoes from my bountiful baskets.  Fortunately they hold for awhile, because honestly, I have had a TON for over a month now.  And I even gave away half a bag to our neighbors.  I'm probably down to half a bag, so maybe in the next week or two I can use them up.

Tonight's use of potatoes was a HUGE success.  I was afraid that it wouldn't have a lot of flavor since I had to make the soup myself and I didn't use the onions, but it was AMAZING.  Both Callen and I said that several times.  This is DEFINITELY going to be made again.

I found the recipe here.  I'll put my modifications in red.

Dutch Oven Potatoes
1 pound bacon (really I don't think it matters how much you use, just to preference.  I used enough to fill the bottom of my dutch oven in a single layer.)
5-7 pounds potatoes (I used 9 small potatoes, cut into 1/4" rounds)
1 large can (28 oz) cream of mushroom soup (I made my own to have a soyfree recipe.  I melted 4 T butter in a saucepan, then mixed in 4 T flour.  When it was fully mixed I slowly stirred in 2 c. milk, then let it cook until it thickened, about 5 mins.  Then I added about 7-8 minced mushrooms).
2 cups milk (since I uses less bacon/potatoes then the recipe called for, I omitted this.  Plus my homemade cream of mushroom soup tends to be a bit thinner than canned soup, so I didn't want it to be too runny)
1-2 medium onions chopped finely (didn't use per hubby's standing request)
Salt and Pepper to taste
2-3 c. shredded cheddar

Preheat oven to 350 (you can also use coals to do this as the original author did).
Cook bacon in dutch oven (I probably kept it in the oven for about 15-20 mins)
Shred bacon into small pieces.  Add potatoes, soup, milk, onion and salt and pepper.
Mix together in dutch oven, put back in oven.
Let cook for 35-40 mins.
Take off lid, sprinkle on the cheese and more salt and pepper if needed, then cook again until cheese is melted (I did about 5 mins more).
Enjoy!  Definitely 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment