Sunday, March 17, 2013

Korean Beef (aka Korean Turkey)

I found this recipe that promised to be simple.  Sometimes I need simple in my life.  And sometimes I need different.  This seemed like something different than what I normally make, so I put it on the menu.  And it is a Six Sisters recipe, and they tend to have things that I like.  So it was one of those things that would be on the menu for that night, but I would push it off. Not sure why.  The night I made it, I told Callen I wasn't in the mood for it and was going to make spaghetti, but I decided to just suck it up and do it.  And we were both glad I did.  It reminded me a bit of the Mongolian Beef I make, except it used ground beef (and I used ground turkey).  Plus, it wasn't fried.  So a win-win in terms of health.  And we both agreed that it was something worth making again!
I found the original recipe here.


Korean Beef

Ingredients:
1 lb lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
3 cloves garlic, minced (I used 2 medium sized ones)
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 - 1 teaspoon crushed red peppers (depending on how spicy you like it)
salt and pepper
1 bunch green onions, diced (I omitted)
Rice, cooked (I used brown rice)

Directions:
Heat a large skillet over medium heat and brown hamburger with garlic in the sesame oil. Drain most of the fat and add brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, salt and pepper and red peppers. Simmer for a few minutes to blend the flavors. Serve over steamed rice and top with green onions. 

Easy enough!  And delicious.  4.8 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment