Friday, May 10, 2013

Apple Butter

I bought a bushel of apples.  Do you know how much that is?  Like 100 apples.  That's a TON of apples.  So what did I do with them?  I steamed a bunch and blended it into sugar free applesauce (totally delicious, add some cinnamon and you've got a nice little treat!), I dehydrated a ton (soak in lemon juice/water before dehydrating to keep them from turning too brown), and then made some apple butter.  It was really good and even though it will only last 2 weeks or so, it was totally worth it for those Sundays when I have freshly baked whole wheat bread to put it on.

I found the recipe here.

Slow Cooker Apple Butter
(I halved the recipe)

6 1/2 pounds apples - peeled, cored and sliced (if I remember correctly, for half I used 10 apples.  And trust me, that is a SHIZ LOAD to cut and peel)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (I didn't have these so I just didn't use them)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS:

1. Place the apples in a slow cooker. In a medium bowl, combine sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg cloves and salt. Pour the mixture over the apples and mix well.
2. Cook in slow cooker on low for about 10 hours, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened and dark brown. (I did this overnight).
3. Uncover, stir in vanilla and continue cooking uncovered on low for about 2 hours. (I screwed this up and actually added the vanilla before I cooked it.  It wasn't a big deal)
4. Use an immersion blender to puree the apple butter until smooth.
5. Spoon the mixture into sterile containers, cover and refrigerate for up to two weeks or freeze.
6. Serve on breads, muffins, pork chops or just eat it with a spoon.

Pretty dang good!

No comments:

Post a Comment