Friday, May 10, 2013

Butternut Squash Risotto

I could have sworn I already did this recipe, but I can't find it, so here goes.  This is definitely worth keeping.  (Though I made it for my mother-in-law and she gave me some pointers on what I could do better next time.  I didn't think there was anything wrong with it to begin with...)

Butternut Squash Risotto (found here)

1 medium butternut squash peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces-let me just say this is harder than it looks. These bad boys are not easy to peel.  In the end Callen came and did it for me).
2 chicken breasts
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1/2 an onion chopped (gross)
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 cup Arborio Rice (I didn't know what this was, but apparently it is a specific kind of rice especially for risotto.  Found by normal rice at the grocery store).
3 cups Chicken Broth (I made this back in Brooklyn's soy-free days so I used water from the boiled chicken.  Now that we can eat soy, it will probably have a little more flavor next time I make it)
Parmesan Cheese
Salt, Pepper, Garlic Salt
Fresh Basil

To start with, peel and chop your butternut squash into 1 inch cubes.  Then melt 1 Tbsp. of butter in a pan and add your squash.  Sprinkle with salt and let it cook.  Cover it with a lid so it can steam while you work on the chicken.
Cut your chicken breasts into 1 inch cubes.  Cook your chicken on the stove top with 1 Tbsp. of Olive Oil and a sprinkle with garlic salt.  When it’s finished cooking, set aside.
Saute the onion in 1 Tbsp. of butter for about 5 minutes.  (Or just leave it out).  Then add the garlic and Arborio rice and saute for another 3-5 minutes until your garlic and onions are cooked and your rice is starting to turn golden.
Then add 1 cup of broth and stir constantly over medium heat until the liquid is absorbed.  Then add another 1/2 a cup.  Continue to add the broth a 1/2 a cup at a time until it is all absorbed into the rice.  It should seem creamy when it’s finished.
Once the rice is done, add the butternut squash (it should be steamed and maybe even a little golden brown) and your chicken and mix it all together.  Then top with parmesan cheese.  Add salt and pepper as needed.

4.8 stars!  Great!

No comments:

Post a Comment