Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Canned Soup and Homemade Tortillas

So my daughter is allergic to soy.  Which means she is allergic to pretty much anything processed.  I've learned that soy=processed.  So the aisles in the grocery store that Bob Harper always tells you to skip? Pretty much all the aisles?  Yeah, I have to skip those now.  No crackers of any kind, no bread, no boxed dinners, no frozen dinners, no Chinese food, no canned soup.  She's also allergic to eggs and nuts.  So what does she eat, you ask?  Hot dogs and vienna sausages.  Seriously.  She loves them.  She eats a lot of fruits and vegetables, and I have made it a weekly thing to make some bread.  I have an awesome honey whole wheat recipe that I use for sandwiches (her favorite is grilled cheese), I've made artisan bread, as well as a delicious peasant bread.  You can search for the recipes on this blog.  I also have to make my own tortillas (we did pulled pork burritos tonight with homemade tortillas).  And I now make my own canned soup.  I feel like even though I am basically a pioneer, making everything from scratch, it is helping ALL of us to be a little healthier and eat less process.  If that even makes sense.  Eat less processed food.  That sounds a little better.  So here are my homemade solutions to a soy allergry.

Tortillas

(I never make a full batch.  I usually make 1/3 of a batch and that makes 3 pretty good sized tortillas.  Perfect for one lunch or dinner.  And if it's just me and the kid eating, I can save the leftover dough and make another one tomorrow.  It never rolls out as well the second day and won't last much longer than that, but she's 3 and easy to impress.  And let's be honest, she mostly pulls it apart and eats the cheese out of it anyway).

Mix all of the following ingredients in a bowl to form a dough:
3 cups flour
1/3 c. oil
1 t. salt
1 c. warm water

Roll it out on a lightly floured surface with a rolling pin.

Cook in a frying pan over medium heat until brown spots form, then flip over and do the other side.  And done.

4.5 stars (I can't get mine to roll as thinly as the storebought kind, so they tend to be a little thick, but they taste just fine).

Original pin found at Honey Bs Kitchen. (It won't link to the site for some reason).

Condensed Soup
Super easy.  And soy free!
2 T butter
2 T flour
1 c. milk

Melt the butter in a frying pan, add in the flour and stir to make a paste.  Slowly add in the milk, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.

This is your base.  Now depending on what kind of soup you want, add what you need.  If you want cream of mushroom, add some chopped mushrooms.  If you want cream of chicken, do 1/2 c. milk and 1/2 c. chicken broth and add some chicken bits if you want.   (Which by the way, if you buy chicken broth, it also has soy in it.  So whenever I boil chicken, I save the water and store it in my fridge to use it instead).  So these are really the main soups I use, but I guess you could soften some celery and add it to make cream of celery.  And maybe add some cheddar to make cream of cheddar?  Sky's the limit, I guess!
5.0 stars (I haven't actually just eaten it plain, but my recipes taste just fine with it.  It does tend to be a bit runnier than the stuff in a can, but no big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment