Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

Two heads of cabbage in my fridge.  I don't think I have ever purposefully bought a head of cabbage.  Maybe once, back in the day, for my mom.  But now here I am all grown up and with my own cabbages.  And no, I didn't buy them on purpose.  They came in my bountiful baskets two weeks in a row.  So I came up with three recipes that require cabbage.  The first one was a success!  Stuffed cabbage rolls.  And Callen liked them, too, said he'd even want them again!  AND he ate the leftovers. True signs that he liked them.  So they are going on the blog so I can find them later and make them again.

I found the recipe here.

Ingredients:
2/3 c. water
1 c. cooked rice (the recipe called for white, I used brown.)
8 cabbage leaves
1 pound ground turkey (once again, the recipe called for beef, I never buy ground beef.)
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4 c. onion (I omitted)
1 t. salt
1/4 t. black pepper
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can condensed tomato soup

1. Bring a large, wide saucepan of lightly salted water to boil.  Add the cabbage leaves and cook for 2-4 minutes or until soft.  Drain.
2.  In a mixing bowl, combine the turkey, rice, onion, egg, salt and pepper, along with 2 T. of tomato soup.  Mix thorougly.
3. Divide the turkey mixture evenly among the cabbage leaves.  Roll and secure them with toothpicks.
4.  In a large skillet over medium heat, place the cabbage rolls and pour the remaining tomato soup over the top.  Cover and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 40 mins, stirring and recovering with the liquid often.

Overall, I would say this recipe gets a 3.8 out of 5.0.  I think because I omitted the onions, I need some kind of spice.  Next time maybe I'll add some garlic salt, worchestershire (what the heck is the name of that stuff!?)...

No comments:

Post a Comment