Sunday, July 8, 2012

Navajo Tacos

I asked Callen a while back some dishes he remembers from when he was little.  He mentioned tamales and chicken and dumplings and navajo tacos.  Very different from what I remember.  I remember mac and cheese with tuna fish and tater tot casserole.

I made the chicken and dumplings a few days ago so now I was on to navajo tacos.

Now I've been out of town for a week so Callen has been on his own.  Which means he was ready for some healthy meals.  In fact, I am pretty sure he even mentioned the word "diet".  So I decided to make whole wheat scones.

I halved the recipe (and still ended up with 3 dozen scones).  I don't know if that made a difference, but the dough ended up very... wet.  So even though I let it rise for almost 2 hours, it didn't rise at all.  But I was out of time, so they went in the fridge anyway to cool.

I had to add a ton of flour as I was rolling it out, but it still looked like whole wheat dough.
I cut them up and then fried them.  I just used generic canola oil and it was fine.  The dough didn't really puff up like it did when I made regular scones a year or so ago.  Not sure it if was because they didn't really rise or because they are wheat or a combination of both.  They puffed a little, but not big and round like normal scones that I drool over.  Oh well.  They still tasted just fine.
Next came the chili.  Super easy and quick to make, perfect to put in the crockpot so we could go fishing and have dinner pretty much ready when we got home.  When I checked the recipe originally for ingredients I needed to buy, I missed the "chili packet" ingredient.  I guess I just thought it was "chili powder".  So I had to make my own chili packet...  I just googled it, though I can't remember what site I used.  They all look the same.  

Nice and steamy.

Just throw the chili over the scones, add a little cheese, lettuce, sour cream, whatever and done!  (Yeah forgot to take a picture of the final product.  But trust me, it was pretty).

Overall rating:  3.8 stars.  Next time I'll make regular scones.  Or figure out how to make these ones puffy.


No comments:

Post a Comment